Sunday, February 1, 2009

James Welborn Will

Muhlenberg County
State of Kentucky

This last will and testament of James Welbourne Yeoman made this 30th day of September 1826 1st I wish a sufficiency of my property to be sold to pay all my just Debts I give & bequeath to my sons William & Willis tow hundred acreas of land the survey whereon my son James D. Welborn now lives to be divided equally between the two, likewise a young horse & saddle to Willis & a bay colt and saddle to William. I give to my son James D. fifty acres of land that formerly belonged to Abraham Billings. I give to my three youngest sons Ransom, Jesse & Benjam the tract of land I am living on at the Death of their mother to be equally Divided amongst them likewise a horse apiece as they may come of age of ordinary value about equal to that of the rest this I have named giving to my five youngest sons It to make to them equal with my seven oldest children. I give & bequeath to my beloved wife Elizabeth Welborn the farm where I am living her her natural life time & all the property of every description belonging to me after my just Debts be paid are for her during her life time then all in possession (except herein named to the youngest children) to be equally divided amongst all my children I likewise select & appoint my wife Elizabeth Welborn my executor. Given under my hand & seal the day & date above written.
James Welborn
Test
John Howel
Matthew G. Willis [his mark]
Thomas Newman

James was dead by the next court day. His will was probated October 1826 in Muhlenberg County Court and proven by the oaths of Thomas Newman and Matthew G. Willis. When a person died, the neighbors "laid him out", dressing and washing the body in preparation for the burial. Friends probably sat up with the body overnight, with burial the next day. While he was being dressed, other friends may have dug the grave.

James was buried in Hazel Creek Cemetery in a grave marked by a coffin-shaped grave covering with the inscription on the flat, top surface. He was buried near the front center of Hazel Creek Cemetery; one of the first to be buried there.

The widow, Elizabeth Welborn was evidently a very capable woman. She served as the executrix for her husband's estate even though she could not write her name. By 17 Nov 1826, she had inventoried the estate and returned the list to the court. John B. Smith, Robert Dudley, and Matthew G. Willis witnessed the accuracy of the inventory. A sale was held, and the sale bill of the property was returned to the December 1826 Court. All accounts and deeds were settled by 8 August 1829.

No comments: